A good piano bench or stool is an indispensable accessory for serious musical practice. It is needed not only for beauty. This ensures proper seating at the piano, healthy posture, correct height, correct elbow angle, and hand position. This cannot be achieved without a special bench.
Ordinary kitchen stools or office chairs are completely unsuitable for music practice. Therefore, after acquiring a good piano, you should also buy a good bench for it.
Earlier, we talked in detail about how high the bench should be and how to sit at the piano correctly. You can read our tips in this article.
And now I want to invite you to familiarize yourself with the top 10 best piano benches. I hope you can choose the most suitable option for yourself.
We will compare all the options and consider in detail the pros and cons of each of them. Let’s go!
- 1 Best Piano Benches – Comparison Chart
- 2 Best Piano Benches – Reviews
- 2.1 1. Neewer Padded Wooden Piano Bench Stool
- 2.2 2. On-Stage KT7800+ Deluxe X-Style Padded Bench
- 2.3 3. Jean Paul USA Reprize Accessories DKB-1 Keyboard Piano Bench
- 2.4 4. Neewer NW-009 PU Leather Adjustable Piano Bench
- 2.5 5. Flexzion Piano X-style Bench – Best Piano Bench For Kids
- 2.6 6. Donner Duet Piano Bench with Storage
- 2.7 7. Donner Adjustable X-shaped Piano Bench
- 2.8 8. On-Stage KB9503B Height Adjustable Padded Wooden Piano Bench
- 2.9 9. ALAPUR Adjustable Padded Wooden Piano Bench
- 2.10 10. Flanger Piano Bench (FJ-029)
- 3 Best Piano Bench – How to choose?
- 4 Best Piano Bench – FAQ
- 4.1 What makes a good piano bench?
- 4.2 What size should a piano bench be?
- 4.3 Are piano benches good for posture?
- 4.4 Are piano benches necessary?
- 4.5 What height should a piano bench be?
- 4.6 How do you adjust a piano bench?
- 4.7 Why do some piano benches have a storage compartment?
- 4.8 How comfortable are piano benches?
- 5 Best Piano Bench – Things to Consider
- 6 Best Piano Benches – Final Words
Best Piano Benches – Comparison Chart
|1||Neewer Wooden Piano Bench Stool with Sheet Music Storage||The best storage option|
|2||On-Stage KT7800+ Deluxe X-Style Padded Bench||The best X-style option|
|3||Jean Paul USA Reprize Accessories DKB-1 Keyboard Piano Bench||The budget X-style option|
|4||Neewer PU Leather Piano Bench||The best adjustable option|
|5||Flexzion Piano Bench – Best Piano Bench For Kids||The best option for kids|
|6||Donner Duet Piano Bench with Storage||The best budget duet option|
|7||Donner Adjustable Piano Bench||The cheapest option|
|8||On-Stage KB9503B Height Adjustable Piano Bench||The highest quality option|
|9||ALAPUR Adjustable Piano Bench||The most beautiful option|
|10||Flanger Piano Bench (FJ-029)||The highest quality duet option|
Best Piano Benches – Reviews
Now let’s look at each bench in more detail. Each model has its own characteristics and it is very important to study them and choose the one that best suits your needs.
Benches differ not only in price. There are different adjustment options, there are benches with and without storage, there are seats for solos or duets, for children, etc.
Let’s start a detailed review!
1. Neewer Padded Wooden Piano Bench Stool
First on our list is a wonderful piano bench Neewer Wooden Piano Bench.
- What is it made from? – Hard solid wood, PU leather.
- Which color? – Black
- What is the maximum weight? – 330 lbs / 150 kg
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – 20.86×18.11×12.4″ / 53x46x32 cm (LxWxH)
- What are the dimensions of the storage compartment? – 18.11×10.23×2.16″/46x26x5.5cm (LxWxH)
Piano solo bench suitable for both performances and home practice. The seat is made of soft foam and is upholstered in artificial leather, which is dust, oil, and water resistant and easy to clean with a damp cloth.
The legs of the stool have rubber pads to prevent slipping on the floor and protect the floor from scratches.
2. On-Stage KT7800+ Deluxe X-Style Padded Bench
The next model on our list is the On-Stage KT7800+. This is the best option if you need a quality piano bench that is easy to carry. Thanks to the x-shaped legs, it is very compact and mobile.
- What is it made from? – Welded metal
- Which color? – Black
- What is the maximum weight? – 360 lbs / 163 kg
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – 5″D x 28″W x 15″H
- What is the weight of the bench? – 4 Kilograms
Best piano bench for home, studio, or street performances. It has three height adjustment positions. Very light and easy to transport.
Beautiful laconic design. The bench has a 2.5″ thick cushion. It provides comfort for long hours of play. The stool also has a spring-loaded double deadbolt locking system for fast, secure, and stable height adjustment.
3. Jean Paul USA Reprize Accessories DKB-1 Keyboard Piano Bench
A more budget-friendly version of the X-style bench is the Jean Paul USA DKB-1 Reprize Extra Wide Adjustable Keyboard Piano Bench.
This piano bench is also very light and compact and is well-suited for transportation and outdoor performances.
- What is it made from? – Alloy Steel
- Which color? – Black
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – 24” x 12” rectangular bench top with 2 1/2 inch padded cushion
- What is the height? – 4 height adjustment positions (18 3/4, 20 3/4, 22 1/2, and 23 1/2)
- What is the weight of the bench? – 4.41 pounds
A great inexpensive option for home practice or street performances. The soft cushion ensures comfort while playing the piano even for several hours.
The bench is equipped with a quick locking mechanism with a double bolt lock. This allows you to quickly disassemble the bench, transport it and store it in a horizontal position. This will be very convenient if you have little space in the music room.
Please pay attention to the thickness of the seat upholstery. The padded seat is 2 1/2 inches deep. This is what provides long hours of comfort while playing the piano.
The legs have rubber pads to prevent slipping and scratches on the floor.
The bench has 4 height adjustment positions. You can choose the most comfortable position for you.
4. Neewer NW-009 PU Leather Adjustable Piano Bench
The next option on our list is a little more expensive, but it has excellent quality and functionality. This is a great bench from Neewer – Neewer NW-009 – an artist piano bench with a waterproof cushion and extra music storage.
In this bench, you will find both a height adjustment and a place to store musical scores.
- What is it made from? – Wood, Metal, PU Leather
- Which color? – Black
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – Length: 21.25 inches/54cm, Width: 12.59 inches/32cm, Height: 18.89-21.65 inches/ 148-155cm
- What is the weight of the bench? – 18.1 pounds / 8.2 kilograms
- What is the load capacity? – up to 250 lbs / 113 kg
The bench has a luxurious design. The soft seat is not deformed, dustproof and waterproof, fashionable, and very easy to clean.
The bench has a very convenient height adjustment with handles. Adjustable within 7 centimeters from 18.89 inches/48 centimeters to 21.65 inches/55 centimeters. So a person of any height will be able to choose the optimal and comfortable height for himself.
The bench has a storage compartment, which is quite rare on models with height adjustment.
The bench is made of strong high-quality materials, which ensures comfort and durability in use.
5. Flexzion Piano X-style Bench – Best Piano Bench For Kids
The next option on our list is a very light, cheap, and portable piano bench. This bench is a great option for kids. This is Flexzion Piano Bench – X-Shaped Padded Keyboard Bench.
- What is it made from? – Alloy Steel
- Which color? – Black
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – 24.0 x 12.0x 5.0 inches
- What is the adjustable height? – 15.5-19.3 inches
- What is the weight of the bench? – 5.54 pounds/ 2.52 Kilograms
- What is the load capacity? – 176 Pounds/ 80 kg
This is a portable CX-shaped stool for people weighing no more than 176 pounds or 80 kilograms. It is easy to assemble, disassemble and transport. The bench weighs very little, which makes it easy to transport.
The bench has three positions in height, which allows it to be used for people of different heights. The maximum height is sufficient even for small children.
It has protective rubber pads that prevent the bench from sliding while playing or other instruments, and protect the floor from scratches.
The bench cushion is soft and made of synthetic leather.
6. Donner Duet Piano Bench with Storage
The next stool on our top is suitable not only for solo playing but also for duets. This is a beautiful bench Donner Duet Piano Bench with Storage.
It is larger than a regular bench, so we can use it for duets.
- What is it made from? – PVC Artificial Leather& High-density Sponge& Hard Solid Wood
- Which color? – Black
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – 29.13”L x 13.38”W x 18.50”H.
- What is the weight of the bench? – 19.1 pounds
- What is the load capacity? – Up to 340 lbs/154 kg
The storage space is quite large, which will allow you to put music books and other things there. The bench is designed to seat two people, making it ideal for teaching or for performing piano duets.
The soft seat is stuffed with a high-resilience sponge and upholstered with high-quality faux leather. This provides you with comfort during the whole time of classes.
The bench is made of the finest materials and has a simple yet elegant design. Rubber foot pads prevent scratches.
The bench has a large compartment for storing books. The top cover and hidden storage are connected with a premium lock that will help keep the seat cover in the fully open position.
7. Donner Adjustable X-shaped Piano Bench
The next bench on our top is the cheapest budget option but at the same time of good quality. This is a portable X-style bench Donner Piano Bench.
The bench has a very small seat size, which makes it very convenient for transportation.
- What is it made from? – Alloy steel, Faux leather, and PVC sponge
- Which color? – Black
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – 40*30*4 cm (15.7*11.8*1.6 inch)
- What is the adjustable height? – 17.1″/43.4cm-19.7″/50cm
- What is the weight of the bench? – 4.25 pounds/1.93 Kilograms
- What is the load capacity? – Up to 250 lbs/113 kg
The bench is easily adjustable in height and folds easily. it is very convenient to take with you, which makes it a great option for outdoor performances.
The filling of the seat uses a high-density sponge to prevent the deformation of the seat.
The bench has a very strong and stable construction. Rubber foot pads prevent slipping while playing the piano.
It has 4 positions for height adjustment.
8. On-Stage KB9503B Height Adjustable Padded Wooden Piano Bench
Our next bench, unlike the previous one, has a fairly high price. But its price is fully justified by premium quality and design! This is On-Stage KB9503B Height Piano Bench.
The bench has a modern stylish design, is very stable and durable, and has adjustments.
- Which color? – Black Gloss
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – 11″D x 26″W x 16″H
- What is the height? – 17″ to 22″
- What is the weight of the bench? – 29 lbs/13 kg
- What is the load capacity? – 330 lbs/150 kg
This bench has excellent stability, resilience, and comfort. The bench uses smooth and reliable hydraulic height adjustment. Easily accessible adjustment arms adjust the height from 17″ to 22″.
The black glossy finish looks very stylish and will look great on stage. This bench is a great option for performances.
This stool features a 2.5″ cushion for extra comfort even during hours of play, as well as a spring-loaded double bolt locking system.
9. ALAPUR Adjustable Padded Wooden Piano Bench
The next model is primarily distinguished by its color. We are used to seeing only black piano stools. I propose to diversify our list a little and look at this beautiful pink bench! This is the best piano bench in this color! Our next option is ALAPUR Piano Bench with Storage.
- What is it made from? – Faux leather, Birch, Metal, Wood
- Which color? – Pink
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – 25.2×15.7×19.3-23.3in./64x40x49-59cm.
- What is the height? – 19.3in./49cm to 23.3in./59cm
- What is the weight of the bench? – 25.5 pounds
- What is the load capacity? – 330 Pounds/150kg
This is a very stylish and incredible bench that will not only serve as a piano stool but also decorate your interior. It is made of high-quality materials and has adjustments.
The chair cushion is 2.4 inches/6 cm thick. It will keep you comfortable even if you need to play the piano for hours. The seat is upholstered in PU material, and resistant to water and scratches.
The bench has a convenient height adjustment. It can be adjusted from 19.3″/49cm to 23.3″/59cm. This feature makes it an ideal choice for younger children.
The structure is made of durable birch wood and can withstand weights up to 150 kg. Non-slip pads on the bottom prevent slipping on the floor.
10. Flanger Piano Bench (FJ-029)
And the last option on our list of the best piano benches is the bench for duets Flanger (FJ-029). It is characterized by high quality, convenient adjustment, and a large space for storing music books.
- What is it made from? – Wood, Leather
- Which color? – Black
- What are the dimensions of the bench? – 35″(long) 16¼” (deep)
- What is the height? – 19 1/2″ to 22″
- What is the weight of the bench? – 35 pounds
This is a duo keyboard bench of premium quality. The seat is made of 100% natural high-quality leather. And the bench itself is made of solid hardwood with an appealing gloss finish.
Under the seat, there is also a place to store music or other things.
Best Piano Bench – How to choose?
After we have detailed the top 10 piano benches, another very important question arises: how to choose? Which option would be best for you?
Well, let’s find the answer!
What do you need from a piano bench?
Of course, we all know that a bench is an indispensable accessory for practicing music. Correct posture and comfortable playing of a musical instrument are very important.
But not only sitting on a seat is important. You must know exactly where, how, and for what you are going to use the bench.
Are you going to play only solo or in a duo? Will you use it at home or for concert performances? How often do you have to carry it with you? How much space do you have at home?
Think about the answers to these questions and it will be easier for you to make your choice.
Perhaps the first thing to think about is the size. The size of the seat is important for solo or duo play. Duo stools always have a larger seating area.
Also, benches for duets will be a very convenient option for music teachers. In classes with young students, you usually have to play a lot together, and there will not be enough space on one regular bench.
Piano Bench Adjustment
Another important point is an adjustment. If you are the only piano player in your family, you can choose a suitable height bench without adjustment. However, when several piano players use the same bench, height adjustment is necessary! Imagine that a 140 cm tall child and a 190 cm tall adult are playing the same instrument. Of course, they can’t see at the same height!
I recommend always choosing a height-adjustable model. Stools without adjustment are more suitable as an element of room decor, or a piece of furniture. If you purchased a vintage piano, then it would be very nice to complement it with a stool that matches the style.
Some models have storage. This is very convenient if you have a lot of piano scores and books.
It gives you the ability to neatly put away all your books after your practice. So they will not lie in ugly piles on top of the instrument.
Before choosing such a model, consider how many scores you have at home. If you are a professional musician and have a lot of sheet music, maybe it’s better to buy a cabinet for them.
Bench Top Material
The seat of the bench is usually made of faux leather. He is quite strong, hardy, and not afraid of drinking, dirt, and water. It is very easy to clean. A such seat is a great option for kids or for music studios.
Sometimes you can find models of benches made of genuine leather. They look very nice, but are much more expensive and require proper regular maintenance.
You can sometimes find models with fabric upholstery, although they are less popular because they are more difficult to clean. If you don’t like this material, you can optionally purchase a special bench cushion that is easy to wash in the washing machine.
The frame of the bench can also be made of different materials.
X-shaped seats are most often made of steel. This could be Welded metal or Alloy Steel. Steel is a very strong and durable material. Such stools can be easily transported and not be afraid of damaging them.
Furniture seats can be made of MDF or solid wood furniture. Of course, the second option is stronger, more durable, and more expensive.
For some, this item will be completely unimportant, but someone will consider this the main requirement for the bench. Of course, I’m talking about design.
Most of the stool models are black and have a universal design that will fit any piano and any interior. But if you have an interesting style piano or an expensive beautiful interior in a certain color scheme, you may want to match the bench to match your piano or interior.
Luckily, now you can find a bench for every taste!
Another important point that you should pay attention to before buying is the assembly. Most stools are pretty simple and quick to assemble. But sometimes special tools may be required. I recommend reading the assembly instructions before buying to make sure you can easily assemble the bench.
Buying a piano bench – Advises
Quick tips before buying:
- Decide whether you will play only solo or in a duet.
- Will you use it only at home or take it with you?
- Check the adjustment possibilities, maximum and minimum height.
- Decide if you need a place for scores and books.
- Check for a manufacturer’s warranty.
- Read customer reviews.
Best Piano Bench – FAQ
Do you still have questions? Look for them here in the FAQ section.
What makes a good piano bench?
Proper good sitting is the key to taking your piano playing to the next level! A good stool provides you with comfort, a correct healthy posture, and the correct position of the arms and hands at the piano. All this is very important for rapid progress in learning to play the piano.
What size should a piano bench be?
A standard bench is usually 30″ wide x 19″ high. It can be used with all sizes of upright pianos from 36″ to 52″ high. There are also small Spinet pianos that look beautiful with a 25-inch keyboard bench. A solo piano bench can be 22 to 30 inches wide, while a duet bench can be 33 to 35 inches long.
Are piano benches good for posture?
Of course! A good keyboard bench provides the correct healthy posture when playing, which is very important for our health.
Are piano benches necessary?
I think yes. No chair, stool, or office chair can provide the correct posture for a piano. Here you can read more about it.
What height should a piano bench be?
Most stools are height adjustable. The average bench is 18 to 22 inches high. But you can find options even up to 24 inches.
How do you adjust a piano bench?
It depends on the type of bench. X-type benches usually have 3 or 4 height positions and are adjustable with a special lock.
Furniture-type ones have handles on the sides. You turn the knobs on both sides at the same time and adjust the desired height. There are also stools with hydraulic adjustment using a special lever.
Why do some piano benches have a storage compartment?
Some models have special storage where you can store music sheets, books, and other little things. It is very convenient and practical! But not always such models have height adjustment.
How comfortable are piano benches?
Comfort depends on the material of the bench seat. Pay attention not only to the outer upholstery of the seat but also to its filler. It should be a dense, highly elastic sponge. Also, pay attention to the thickness of the seat. If it is too thin, it will sit hard on it. A good seat will keep you comfortable playing for long hours.
Best Piano Bench – Things to Consider
I am sure that you have already received complete comprehensive information on piano seats. Use our tips to find the best option for you.
The main thing is not to neglect such an important addition to the piano or keyboard as a bench. Believe me, the right bench will make your classes much more enjoyable and productive.
Best Piano Benches – Final Words
This is where our article ends. In our top 10, we have collected the best options for any budget and for any task. I am sure that you will be able to find among them what is right for you.
If you have any other questions, be sure to ask them in the comments. I will gladly help you!
Thank you for your attention, I wish you great creative success.
Best regards, your Lucy.
Hello! My name is Lucy.
I am a musician, pianist, and piano teacher with over 10 years of experience. I, along with my professional team, created this website. Here I want to share my experience and knowledge with you. I write articles about learning the piano, its features and history, and reviews of the best digital pianos and accessories.
I hope my site will be useful to you!